Friday, June 17, 2011

CheckPoint: Culture Shock





 Well, knowing that these people have a different way of life then I do, first I would have done as much research I could have about them. I would have found out what they were like, what they eat, their hunting habits, and anything else I could have in order to find a common ground to make conversation. Since I know that the word “Yanomamo” in their culture literally means “human being”, we would have a conversation starter right there. I would have to prepare and be open minded about their ways of life since most of the Yanomamo people practice polygamy, and in the United States, we have more monogamous relationships.  I would have also discussed as much as I could have about these people with my guide.
To describe a personal experience with cultural shock, I had a bit of a hard time. I have never left the state of Texas where I was born. Since culture shock is “the impaired ability to function due to three things; the absence of familiar comforting characteristics of one’s culture, the presence of seemingly irrational, inscrutable, offensive, or even hostile aspects of the target culture, and the lack of ability, linguistic or otherwise, to gain cultural understanding rapidly enough to adapt to these changes.” (Category Culture, 2011). I had to find something in my past that I could discuss. I went to prison when I was 22, and I can honestly say that it was a shock to see what a real prison looked like from the inside. The people act differently there then they do out in the world. What shocked me the most is that most of the girls did not mind being there, and quite a few left, and came back while I was there. The components of culture that shocked me the most was these girls (even behind bars) wanted to act like they owned the place, and it was theirs to run. The guards shocked me because they are supposed to be upholding the law, and keeping prisoners straightened out, and a lot of them fraternized with them; brought some of the girls’ drugs inside, and even became intimate with inmates. It was nothing like what you see on television, I will say that!
Understanding the major components of culture is important in situations like the one Napoleon Chagnon or I experienced because if people do not realize that not all people act, dress, think, or even live the same as we do, then they will have a hard time adjusting to any cultural changes that may occur. Nothing can fully prepare you for any type of cultural shock, but I am sure that with time, a person could get used to the situation.



References:
Category Culture. (2011). Culture Shock. Retrieved from http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CultureShock


No comments:

Post a Comment