Friday, June 17, 2011

CheckPoint: Social and Formal Groups Comparison

If we were to talk about my current social and formal groups, I would say that the social group that I am currently a part of is my family and all the people that live here on the “family” property. I would not say that there is a “hierarchy” in my social group, but I can say that there are certain decisions that my family expects me to make that may be for the better for everyone involved. I can say that every person in my social group has a main focus of what others in the group (or family) need, and we all try to help each other when someone is in need. The interactions that occur in my social group consist of casual conversations and interaction on a very regular basis.
The formal group that I currently am a part of is The University of Phoenix. This is considered to be a formal group due to the hierarchy to its organization. In the University of Phoenix, there is a Division of Labor, Hierarchy of authority, written regulations and rules, impersonality, employment that is based on technical qualifications. Then, add the students, and this is a perfect example of a formal group that I belong to.
My social and formal groups differ in a few different ways. A social group tends to be more casual, while the formal group is more orderly and there is a chain of command to go through. There are not any strict rules in my social group, where my formal group has a whole handbook of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment